9 tips on Buying a Dinner Suit
A Dinner Suit is something you will use very rarely but is always handy to have if your social life / work life gets you invited to many formal events requiring a dinner Suit.
Here are my 9 tips on buying a Dinner Suits
- If you are not going to go to many formal functions and this is just a one off. Then DON’T buy a dinner suit. It will be a waste of money and you will regret the purchase, buy a plain black dinner suit and use tips below. You can at least use the plain black dinner suit for other occasions including work.
- Like a suit jacket make sure you are comfortable in the jacket, you will probably be wearing the jacket most of the evening, look for a satin trim on the lapel. You can go for a notch lapel or a shaw lapel.
- Make sure the buttons on the jacket and the sleeves are covered in the same satin trim that is used on the lapel. Don’t buy a dinner jacket that has just basic plain black buttons. If you are going to go the effort you might as well get everything properly
- Try the jacket on with a wing collared shirt and a bowtie. Some guys hate wearing normal ties, never mind a wing collared shirt and bow tie. make sure you comfortable with it all on.
- Don’t be worried about wearing a bowtie that is a clip on, it is easier and your bow tie will look smart consistently over the night. You can get a tie your own, but trust me they are a pain in the backside to learn.
- To look a little different you can buy a bowtie that is matching your partners outfit, even go one step further and get a matching hanky. This will get you away for the traditional black bowtie and it will look like you and your partner coordinated well.
- The trousers should be loop less ( no belt loops ) and have adjustable waist. So you don’t wear a belt. With the adjustable waist it can be very handy as you can let it out if your weight changes one way or the other.
- Finally the satin trim on the trousers. There are good reasons to have a dinner suit trouser with the satin trim and not. I personally like the satin trim as it makes the outfit whole and ties in with the satin trim from the lapel, buttons and trousers together. Also a dinner suit trousers without the satin trim means you can wear the trousers on other occasions. So depending on your needs you can decide what you prefer.
- If you wish to go that one step further you can make the dinner suit outfit into a three piece suit by adding a vest. You will definitely get some compliments, you will look unique and when you take your jacket off you will still look smart.